[Winpcap-users] stop getting packets from a NIC on blade server

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Feb 7 17:24:00 GMT 2006

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Pelles, Noam
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Monday, February 06, 2006 3:47 AM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] stop getting packets from a NIC on blade server

  Hi,

  I am writing a network sniffer that uses WinPCap  3.1 Beta on Win 2000\2003 servers.

Uhm, why are you using a beta of WinPcap 3.1 instead of the release version of 3.1?

  This application works fine under any server I have used till now,
  but recently I have installed it on blade server, and crossed strange behavior :

  When my application starts it is capturing packets from period of time  , then packets stops for any reason.
  When using other application that uses WinPCap ( Packetyzer ) I get the same result ( even when their buffer is not full).

Can you tell me which exact version of WinPcap are you using? Is it a beta of 3.1? If so, please upgrade to WinPcap 3.1 final.

  When I use Ethereal in regular mode( not displaying packets in real time ) also the packets stops after few seconds , only when I check the
  option of  " Update list of packets in real time" packets are being captured all the time.

  Is there any time out that tell the adapter \ driver to stop capture ?

No.

  What different setting the Ethereal is using when checking the real time option ?

No different setting, it's basically something done at the UI level (not in the capture driver).

  Thanks

        This electronic message contains information from Verint Systems, which may be privileged and confidential.
        The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s)or entity named above.
        If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited.
        If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by replying to this email (1).