[Winpcap-users] Packet timestamp strangeness

Richard Hansen pcap-ri at scientician.org
Sat Jul 1 01:33:33 GMT 2006

Ioan Popescu <ipopescu at dataq.com> wrote:
> Mark Buchanan wrote:
>> Take a close look at the initial set up of the adapter (pcap_open or
>> pcap_open_live function) - the read timeout parameter is critical to
>> what you are trying to do. The lowest value of 1 ms might not be fast
>> enough for you. Check the documentation - if set to 0 this might return
>> immediately on every packet.
>
> Use "-1" as the timeout to return immediately.

I tried this out and it pegged my CPU even without packets arriving.  I took a look at the source and when to_ms = -1, it doesn't wait for data -- it just polls as rapidly as it can.

to_ms apparently doesn't affect delay anyway if mintocopy = 0.  Based on my understanding of the code, the callback function is invoked when:
  * there is data available, AND
  * the number of bytes available has reached the mintocopy value OR
    to_ms has been reached, whichever is sooner.

So, if mintocopy is 0 (or really low) you can safely set to_ms to a high value without increasing latency.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

Thanks,
Richard