[Winpcap-users] Adapting WinPcap’s functionality for connecting to Wi-Fi access points (APs).

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Jul 14 02:18:40 GMT 2006

George S. Lockwood wrote:
> maybe you are able to quickly spot a problem with this...I don't
> understand the "NDIS: Could not find interface
> ''\Device\NPF_{556DEBC4-B686-4A77-A2D8-7F34F3A5708F}''

It means you have an extra set of ' characters around the interface
name.  ;-)  You don't have to escape the string with single quotes like
that, unless you built wpa_supplicant yourself under Cygwin.  (You can
also use the first word of the description given for your card, based on
its entry in Device Manager; that's what I do.  So for instance, a
"Linksys WRT54GS Blah Blah" card could be specified with -iLinksys.)

> On 7/13/06, George S. Lockwood <gslockwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think the error is about this line
>> ctrl_interface=/var/run/wpa_supplicant
>>
>> I'm running windows xp and not unix and not sure what is correct...

That is still required.  There is no /var/run/wpa_supplicant on windows,
but if that line isn't there, then wpa_cli (and wpa_gui) won't work.
Without that setting, the UDP socket that wpa_cli and wpa_gui use will
not be set up.  The value never used to matter, although I seem to
remember some talk about using a named pipe instead of a UDP socket in
the release notes for one of the 0.5.x versions, so it might matter if
you use the most recent version.

(We may want to move this discussion to hostap at epitest.fi, since that's
the wpa_supplicant mailing list, or to private mail.  We're starting to
get way off topic for winpcap-users.)