[Winpcap-users] Error Installing WinPCap

Keith W. Hare Keith at jcc.com
Thu Jul 20 19:12:38 GMT 2006

I am attempting to install WireShark (Ethereal) on a Dell Latitude
running Windows/XP Pro, Service Pack 2.

I get the following message:

  WinPcap 3.1 Setup

  A previous version of WinPCap has been detected on the system and
cannot be
  removed because in use by another application.  Please close all the
WinPcap-bassed
  applications and run the installer again.

  The installation will now abort.

I have never installed WinPCap on this computer.  So far, I have not
figured out what I have installed that might have installed pieces of
WinPCap.

How can I figure out what is preventing WinPCap from installing?

Keith

Keith W. Hare                     JCC Consulting, Inc.
keith at jcc.com                     600 Newark Road
Phone: 740-587-0157               P.O. Box 381
Fax: 740-587-0163                 Granville, Ohio 43023
http://www.jcc.com                USA