[Winpcap-users] Error Installing WinPCap

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu Jul 20 23:43:12 GMT 2006

Ok, some third party app probably installed WinPcap 3.1beta4 or parts of it,
and it's currently using it (that's why the installer for WinPcap 3.1 cannot
remove it).

I would suggest you to find out which app installed WinPcap 3.1beta4 (I
suppose that there's no WinPcap item under Control Panel ->Installed
Applications, right?).

Otherwise, a solution that *might* work is this one:

1. delete npf.sys from windows\system32\drivers
2. reboot the machine
3. try to delete windows\system32\packet.dll
4. If 3) succeeds, install WinPcap 3.1.
   If 3) still fails ("access denied, file in use by another process bla bla
bla"), there things get a bit complicated...

Hope it helps