[Winpcap-users] why WinPcap is not capturing packets formmywireless PC card - Thanks Gianluca

Steighton_Haley at McAfee.com Steighton_Haley at McAfee.com
Tue Jun 27 17:46:44 GMT 2006

The driver for your wireless adapter most likely does not support
promiscuous mode operation.  This is common.  It is covered in the FAQ.
Please read it.

________________________________

	From: winpcap-users-bounces at winpcap.org
[mailto:winpcap-users-bounces at winpcap.org] On Behalf Of vimal raj
	Sent: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 6:44 AM
	To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
	Subject: RE: [Winpcap-users] why WinPcap is not capturing
packets formmywireless PC card - Thanks Gianluca

	Hi GV,

	Thanks GV, I followed your instructions and it worked.

	In WinPcap documentation it is given that the #define
PCAP_OPENFLAG_PROMISCUOUS of remote-ext.h
<http://winpcap.mirror.ethereal.com/301a/docs/remote-ext_8h-source.html>
is deciding our device should be in promiscuous mode or not. But in my
application in pcap_open_live () when I gave 0 and DISABLED PROMISCOUS
MODE,  my program run and I got output.

	Your reply says that while using WinPcap our application should
disable promiscuous mode. But most network sniffers work in promiscuous
mode only. So I am confused with this. Please clarify

	Thanks in advance,

	vimal