[Winpcap-users] WinPcap and NDIS connect/disconnect/media specificindications

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu Mar 2 15:38:29 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jouni Malinen" <jkmaline at cc.hut.fi>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 10:08 PM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] WinPcap and NDIS connect/disconnect/media
specificindications

> I've been using WinPcap with a wireless IEEE 802.1X/WPA supplicant
> (wpa_supplicant) for a while and it provides a good mechanisms both for
> receiving and sending of EAPOL packets and for doing set/query OID
> commands. However, there is one more type of driver interaction that is
> needed for this type of applications, i.e., receiving of NDIS events
> (NdisMIndicateStatus() calls from the NDIS miniport driver).
>
> The current Windows port of wpa_supplicant is using WMI to receive media
> connect, media disconnect, and media specific indication events from the
> driver. However, this is not ideal for number of reasons (e.g., support
> on older Windows versions and complexity added by the WMI code) and I
> would prefer to be able to do this without having to resort to using
> WMI. ndisuio/ndisprot is likely to have some mechanism for this, but
> neither of those options sound any better than WMI. I've looked at
> whether this could be done with WinPcap, but I haven't found a way of
> doing this with the current version.
>
> Is there a mechanism for receiving NDIS miniport events into user space
> applications with WinPcap?

No.

> If not, would someone be interested in
> adding such functionality? I would like to be able to register an
> application to receive NDIS events (e.g., a bit map of registered status
> types) through Packet.dll and receive some kind of handle that could be
> used to wait for the events with WaitForMultipleObjects().

I think I haven't seen so far anyone requesting such feature within WinPcap.
By having a quivk look at the NDIS documentation, I think it shouldn't be
too difficult to implement it, but at the moment we (WinPcap team) have no
plans to implement it in the near future. In any case, any patch is welcome!