[Winpcap-users] Cannot see adapter list

Jim Matthews jmatt_vi at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 3 20:22:00 GMT 2006

Hello!
  -----------------------
  PROBLEM OVERVIEW
  -----------------------
  I am using Win 2000 SP4 machine with a "3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast Ethernet Controller(3C905C-TX)" and Winpcap 3.0.
  - When I run "windump -d", it lists no adapters.
  - Ethereal does not list the 3Com adapter either.
  - When I uninstall WinPcap 3.0 and install Winpcap 3.1, I see only a "Generic Dial-up Adapter".
  -If I go back to Winpcap 3.0, I dont see any adapters listed!

  Anyone know why this is happening and how to fix it?

  -----------------------
  ADDITIONAL DETAILS
  -----------------------

  Here are details of how all this started and all investigation details.

  - I was able to capture traffic with WinPcap 3.0 on the 3Com adapter.
  - There were some Symantec updates(anti-virus) pushed to my computer by  my company. I am not sure if there were any further changes pushed  during the same update.
  - After  a couple of days, I realized that I do not see any adapters in the output of "windump -d" or even  Ethereal.
  - I unisntalled Winpcap 3.0 and re-installed Winpcap 3.0  to see if this fixes the problem but it didnt.
  - When I install Winpcap 3.1 instead, I see that a "Generic Dial-up Adapter" is listed in the list of interfaces.
  - ipconfig/all shows the 3Com adapter and I can connect to the internet successfully.
  - I tried cleaning up Winpcap registry entries(Carefully) and also made  sure that packet.dll and winpcap.* files do not exist on my computer  before isntalling winpcap again.
  - There were a couple of users who reported an issue with the SAME CARD  on the ethereal mailing list but there was no resoution listed in the  mailing lists.
  http://ethereal.ntop.org/lists/ethereal-users/200009/msg00055.html
  http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200009/msg00036.html
  - I have two other machines in my office with the same NIC and I am seeing the same problem on both of them.
  However, a third machine with same configuration on which "no Symantec  updates were pushed". It seems to work fine. I tried to break this too  by removing winpcap and No adapters were listed.But I was able to fix  this very easliy with a re-isntall and I can see the 3Com adapter!

  Nothing seems to work! Any help will be appreciated!

  Thanks,
  -Jim