[Winpcap-users] TCP stack resets connections established by WinPCap on XP SP2

Jacob Gnarly jacob.gnarly at gmail.com
Tue Mar 14 22:05:42 GMT 2006

I hope someone has already seen strange behavior like this and can point me
in the right direction. I "inherited" an application which creates a TCP
connection with a remote host, sends a small number of packets, and
terminates the connection. The odd behavior that I am finding is that on
some XP SP2 systems the TCP session works just like you would expect while
other systems have the connection terminated prematurely by the originator's
TCP stack. Instead of the expected SYN/SYN_ACK/ACK handshake the
originator's TCP stack generates a RST packet as soon as it receives the
SYN_ACK packet back from the remote system and then the WinPCap program
responds with an ACK packet as follows: SYN/SYN_ACK/RST/ACK. The really
weird thing is that it works fine on some XP SP2 systems and not on others.
Hopefully someone has already seen this behavior and can help me get to the
root of the problem. Thanks in advance!

Jacob