[Winpcap-users] How does windows see that the NIC has received data?

Ramiro Polla ramiro86 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 15 20:54:56 GMT 2006

I was wondering... Is it absolutely necessary for winpcap to keep checking
the status of the NIC to see if there is any data?
Doesn't the NIC call some interrupt when it receives data. And that
interrupt could be used to call the callback function.

If it really is absolutely necessary to constantly check the NIC, how does
windows do it, and couldn't a function be made to call the callback function
at every packet received? (without the user having to ask every time).

I know nothing about the driver, so I'm just wondering here...