[Winpcap-users] Correct Initialization for winpcap

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Mar 28 22:55:36 GMT 2006

matt jaffa wrote:
> Yeah I saw Bryan's reply, but adding those services (npf, nm) to my
> service's depnedons mutli-string value didn't produce any different
> results.

How about these instructions, near the end?:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/*checkout*/hostap/wpa_supplicant/README-Windows.txt?rev=HEAD&content-type=text/plain

> If the service is set to start during system bootup to make the
> network connection available before any user has logged in, there may
> be a long (half a minute or so) delay in starting up wpa_supplicant
> due to WinPcap needing a driver called "Network Monitor Driver" which
> is started by default on demand.
>
> To speed up wpa_supplicant start during system bootup, "Network
> Monitor Driver" can be configured to be started sooner by setting its
> startup type to System instead of the default Demand. To do this,
> open up Device Manager, select Show Hidden Devices, expand the "Non
> Plug-and-Play devices" branch, double click "Network Monitor Driver",
> go to the Driver tab, and change the Demand setting to System instead.

(wpa_supplicant is also a WinPcap-based program, and in this case it's
running as a service.)  You can set both Network Monitor Driver and
NetGroup Packet Filter this way; that's what I had to do when using my
own wpa_supplicant wrapper service.  I thought of the dependency option
later, but apparently that doesn't work, or something.  (Actually,
adding nm to NPF's dependency list might make it work.  Haven't tried
that either, though.)