[Winpcap-users] WinPcap 3.1/WinPcap 3.1 beta

Steev H. steev at ifrance.com
Mon May 8 19:35:41 GMT 2006

Hi,

	My answer is below yours :)

-----Original Message-----
From: winpcap-users-bounces at winpcap.org
[mailto:winpcap-users-bounces at winpcap.org] On Behalf Of Gianluca Varenni
Sent: lundi 8 mai 2006 21:16
To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
Subject: Re: [Winpcap-users] WinPcap 3.1/WinPcap 3.1 beta

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steev H." <steev at ifrance.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, May 08, 2006 11:24 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] WinPcap 3.1/WinPcap 3.1 beta

> Hi,
>
> I'm having a funny problem :)
>
> I am building a small application that snoops the network with
> WinPCap.
>
> For that, I downloaded the "WinPcap 3.1 Developer's Pack" couple of
> days ago, and I used it within my application.
>
> This works on my development machine, but I then wanted to test on a
> separate machine that had WinPcap 3 beta 1 installed.

Uhm, do you refer do WinPcap 3 beta 1 released in February 2003???
[Steeve] Yes :)

> This worked, but as I used the 3.1 "final" APIs I decided to migrate
> to WinPcap 3.1 "final". My application is now crashing at startup and then
> this is what I get in the Microsoft Event Log:
>
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 1000
> Date: 08/05/2006
> Time: 4:50:01 PM
> User: N/A
> Computer: MYCOMPUTER
> Faulting application myapp.exe, version 1.0.0.0, stamp 445f0520, faulting
> module wpcap.dll, version 3.1.0.27, stamp 42efe335, debug? 0, fault
> address
> 0x0001a220.

> I tried on multiple machines and I have the same problem on every
> machine :-(

So your app is compiled against the 3.1 devpack, and it crashes on every
machine where WinPcap 3.1 is installed?
[Steeve] Yes :)

> So there are two possibilities:
>
> * The API is not up to date (and works with 3.1 beta but not
> with the final version),

Uhm, I seriously doubt so. There are no breaking changes in the API that
would cause such problems (and in any case you cannot have such issues if
you use devpack 3.1 *with* winpcap 3.1). Which API are you using? pcap or
Packet?
[Steeve] Uhm, I'd assume it is pcap (I'm including pcap.h) :)

Are you able to debug the issue (or at least have a trace) on the faulting
machines, and understand exactly which function is crashing?

[Steeve] Nope :( Microsoft Dr Watson instantly takes over my app...

> * The beta version did not successfully un-install.
>
> From my experiments, I would say this is the first option, as I
> downloaded WinDump and successfully snooped network traffic...
>
> Can anyone confirm that? Can anyone check that the sources available
> on the download site are the proper one?

I double checked on the server, and they are the proper ones.

[Steeve] Ok... :(
[Steeve] I'm just wondering if it could not be caused by some left-overs
from the beta1 that causes final wpcap.dll to crash internally :)