[Winpcap-users] ANNOUNCE: WinPcap 4.0 alpha1 has been released

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Thu May 11 23:40:09 GMT 2006

Gianluca Varenni wrote:
> This new release of WinPcap has been thoroughly tested internally.
> However, due to the extensive modifications to the kernel driver
> code, we feel that a testing period from the WinPcap community is
> necessary to guarantee a level of stability comparable with WinPcap
> 3.1. We encourage everyone to play with this new version and report
> any problems on the various WinPcap mailing lists.

I haven't actually tried the driver yet, but I think I see a "leak" of
some sort in the BIOCSETOID / BIOCQUERYOID ioctl handlers.

Right after the TRACE_MESSAGE call, the code calls
NPF_StartUsingBinding.  Any error path after this calls
NPF_StopUsingBinding, except one -- if the buffer is too small, the code
calls the SET_FAILURE_BUFFER_SMALL() macro, then breaks out of the case,
but it doesn't NPF_StopUsingBinding that I can see.  I'm not sure it
matters, either, but it *might* end up deadlocking when npf gets
unloaded.  (This is packetNtx/driver/Packet.c, near line 1524.)

I will try to get the precompiled driver running tomorrow on a test
machine or two, though, to see if it fixes the crash I was seeing.  I
think it will, based on the code, but it's never bad to actually try it.