[Winpcap-users] Re: breaking out of a pcap_next_ex() loop

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon May 15 16:22:04 GMT 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gubrush ." <vga_planets at hotmail.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 2:02 AM
Subject: Re: [Winpcap-users] Re: breaking out of a pcap_next_ex() loop

> Hi
>
> It was a little late on friday for me as well. Didnt realize what he did.
> Except pcap_breakloop is working as intended for my use.
>
> I didn't know pcap_breakloop was bad, if it is, then why is it there? :)

I didn't say "it's bad". I just said that I personally don't like too much,
and it can have side effects that can create problems.

The most important problem is that it doesn't actually stop the capture
immediately: if simply exits the capture loop *when* the read timeout occurs
or at the first reception of a packet (whatever comes first). If you put a
long timeout (say 10 seconds) and you don't receive packets,
pcap_next_ex/pcap_loop/pcap_dispatch will return after up to 10 seconds.