[Winpcap-users] Is there any way to get packet size in bytes from.pcap files

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Thu May 25 14:58:18 GMT 2006

After reading the message again, I think I misinterpreted your mail...

You want a table like

TCP size=102
UDP size=213

You can probably do that by using windump (and some level of verbose
output, -v -vv -vvv), and some awk scripting (or another scripting language)
to parse each line of output and strip only the protocol type and packet
size. Otherwise, I'm pretty sure you can have the same result with tethereal
(command line version of ethereal), in this case I suggest you to ask the
ethereal-users mailing list. Finally, you can create a small winpcap based
app to read the capture file and print the information you want.

Hope it helps