[Winpcap-users] WinPcap 4 Beta to Stable date

Jouni Malinen jkmaline at cc.hut.fi
Fri Nov 24 01:46:53 GMT 2006

On Tue, Nov 21, 2006 at 09:12:35AM -0800, George S. Lockwood wrote:

> I believe I tried installing the wpa_supplicant with winpcap onto a Vista
> system and an error appeared when -I suspect- Winpcap was trying to load.
> BUT I'm not positive it was a 4.0 version or 3.1....I'll try 4.0 for sure
> and see what happens.

I have done some minimal testing with wpa_supplicant and WinPcap 4.0
beta 2 on Vista. There used to be some problems in getting the WinPcap
stuff loaded, but once that happened in one or another way (e.g.,
starting Wireshark seemed to help in some cases), the adapter was
visible for wpa_supplicant. One thing I noticed was that the adapter
description from PacketGetAdapterNames() did not match my expectations
in some cases (e.g., it was "Microsoft" for Atheros driver) whereas
NDISPROT gave the correct name for the same adapter.

Anyway, one thing to note here is that wpa_supplicant does not support
the Native 802.11 NDIS OIDs introduced in Vista, so if you actually want
to do something with it, you would need to be using an old NDIS 5
driver..