[Winpcap-users] Re: Re: Re: Delay and jitter

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Thu Nov 30 18:20:53 GMT 2006

Antonio Ocampo wrote:
> I'm trying to measure one way delay.

Again, is that application-to-application (meaning that the time the
packet is sent is the time that the application on the sending machine
sends it, and the time the packet is received is the time the
application on the receiving machine sees it), or
network-adapter-to-network-adapter (meaning that the time the packet is
sent is either the time the first bit of the packet or the last bit of
the packet is put onto the network, and the time the packet is received
is either the time the first bit of the packet or the last bit of the
packet is received by the receiving machine's network adapter), or
something else?

The first two are different; the first is much easier than the second.
The second might be impossible without using specialized network
adapters on both machines, and specialized software with those adapters
- and I don't know whether those even exist.

All you'd get with libpcap/WinPcap (or, I suspect, any *other* capture
software) would be a value somewhere between the
application-to-application time and the
network-adapter-to-network-adapter time, which would, for example,
include a significant amount of networking stack delay.