[Winpcap-users] Problem sniffing packets generated and received on local machine

jwackley at mountaincable.net jwackley at mountaincable.net
Fri Oct 13 19:09:26 GMT 2006

Hi,

Looked through the archives and could find nothing related to this issue.

One network card has 10 ip addresses assigned to it, the second network
card has only one address assigned to it.  The first problem scenario
involves only the first card, wireshark does not capture packets generated
and received locally using only addresses bound with only the first card.
The second scenario involves both cards, wireshark does not capture
packets generated and received locally, with the sender and receiver bound
to different ip addresses on the two different cards.

First scenario, I generate UDP traffic on one of the ip addresses on the
first card, to a process listening on an address still on the first card.
In other words the sending and receiving programs are using only the
protocol stack of the first card.  The application operates fine and
packets are being sent and received.  Wireshark does not capture any of
these packets.

Second scenario, I generate UDP traffic on the second card to an
application listening on one of the addresses of the first card.
Wireshark does not capture any of these packets.  Again everything seems
to work find with the application.

The OS is windows XP SP2.  I am using wireshark 0.99.3 and have tried
winpcap 3.1 and 4.0 beta with no luck.  Wireshark can capture packets that
are sniffed from the wire, but does not seem to capture packets generated
and consumed locally.

Any suggestion how to address this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
jonw