[Winpcap-users] Problem sniffing packets generated and received onlocal machine

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Fri Oct 13 21:37:11 GMT 2006

Gianluca Varenni wrote:
> Both the traffic exchanged between the two IPs on the same NIC and
> the two IPs on two NICs are managed by the TCP/IP protocol driver, so
> above the network cards (and in parallel with WinPcap).

Yes, that is true.  However, the reason is that if you check your route
table, you'll see an entry for *every* IP address bound to your local
adapters.  These entries always go through the loopback adapter (and
therefore it is true that it's handled inside the TCP/IP protocol
driver, since that's the driver that provides the loopback adapter).

So you're right, at a high level, but the low-level reason is the route
table entries that Windows creates when you assign an address to an
adapter.  (You can't get rid of these entries, BTW, but I think it is
possible to override them with entries to make the packets go out onto
the wire, through the NIC(s).  I can't really remember how that's done,
though, or if it breaks anything else.)