[Winpcap-users] Suppressed Packets

Peter Hegel peter.hegel at doli.de
Fri Oct 20 13:01:22 GMT 2006

Hi Winpcap team

I've modified the sendpack.c demo to send out broadcast messages of 60
bytes. The content of the packet is set to zero. Only the length field
is incremented with each send.

   /* set mac destination to BROADCAST FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF */
	packet[0]=-1;
	packet[1]=-1;
	packet[2]=-1;
	packet[3]=-1;
	packet[4]=-1;
	packet[5]=-1;

	/* set mac source to 2:2:2:2:2:2 */
	packet[6]=2;
	packet[7]=2;
	packet[8]=2;
	packet[9]=2;
	packet[10]=2;
	packet[11]=2;

   for(i=0; i<1500; i++)
   {
     /* set 802.3 length field */
     packet[12]=i/0x100;
     packet[13]=i%0x100;

     /* Send down the packet */
     if (pcap_sendpacket(fp, packet, 60) != 0)
     {
       printf("\nError sending the packet\n");
       return 3;
     }
   }

Wireshark running on a second PC receives all (1500) packets, if I use a
3COM NIC. With a D-LINK DFE-528T or a NETGEAR GA311 (both Gigabit NICs)
only packets with lenght fields less than 0x2F are captured by Wireshark.

Any hints why D-LINK and NETGEAR Gigabit NICs don't work with my demo?

I requested support from D-LINK already and will post results to the list.

Thank you,

Peter