[Winpcap-users] NPF drivers and new installed device

Vincent Maurin vincent.maurin at smartcom.com
Wed Sep 6 13:43:38 GMT 2006

Hi,

I use Wpa supplicant in a windows application and, as you know, wpa
supplicant use winpcap. When a new pluggable device is connected to the
system, Windows XP installs the drivers, and the device is ready to use.
But, all the apps based on winpcap doesn't see the new device until I
reboot. More precisely, until the npf service restart.
Without rebooting, after running net stop npf and net start npf, the
device is detected by winpcap.
After that, I can plug and unplug the device, it works perfectly.
I have searched in the source code, debug, and it appears that
CreateFile in PacketOpenAdapterNPF return a "File not found" error code.
CreateFile tries to open a symbolic link created in the DriverEntry of
npf driver. this method is called when the driver is loaded, so until I
restart the service, a new device will never appear in winpcap apps.
How can I make it works without restart the service (the service don't
stop if other devices are already sniffed) ?
There is "plug and play" npf driver ?

Thanks

Best regards,

Vincent Maurin