[Winpcap-users] airsnare/winpcap on w2k platform

retzer66 retzer66 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 7 15:17:03 GMT 2006

I am having a hard time trying to run airsnare on my
Dell laptop. I tried loading airsnare on my newly
refurbished (by me) Dell Latitude laptop last week and
got a curious Windows error: "Run-time error
‘-2147220992 (80040200)’: "Failed to load winpcap
packet.dll. Please (re)install the winpcap packet
capture libraries."

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling winpcap
numerous times. When I run windump -D, I see two
adapters: the dial-up adapter (which I understand is
normal for W2K and can't be removed) and my wireless
card (Proxim Orinoco 8470-WD),. The card can be found
on the list of airsnare's "approved" cards.

The only security I have is the free version of AVG.
There's no firewall, but I am running behind a Linksys
WRT54g router with HyperWRT firmware. I also use a
McAfee utility to run WPA security on this wireless
card because W2K doesn't support WPA natively and
another laptop in our network kept dropping
connections on WEP.

I did have to find a copy of comdlg32.ocx and move it
into the winnt/system32 directory. Also note that the
W2K operating system was installed as an update on top
of Win 3.1.

Any clues anyone can give my to solving this mystery
would be appreciated. TIA.

--rettzer!