[Winpcap-users] provide a message from a programm

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Tue Sep 12 06:02:08 GMT 2006

Steffen Röttig wrote:

> therefor... i get frames/packages from a external tool. these packages
> should be analyzed from a tool like wireshark or windump.
>
> is this possible?
>
> because in wireshark or windump i have to set a networkcard (interface),
> but for my solution i don't have so one!

I.e., you have an external tool that's providing link-layer frames, and
you want Wireshark or WinDump to analyze them?

If the external tool writes the frames to its standard output, and can
be run from the command line, then you should be able to have WinDump
analyze them:

	{external-tool} | windump -r -

For Wireshark, it's a bit more complicated; on UN*X, you can do it with
a named pipe file, but I'm not sure whether you could send the standard
output of a program to a named pipe on Windows.