[Winpcap-users] provide a message from a programm

Steffen Röttig steff_privat at t-online.de
Tue Sep 12 14:44:34 GMT 2006

Bryan Kadzban schrieb:
> Guy Harris wrote:
>
>> For Wireshark, it's a bit more complicated; on UN*X, you can do it
>> with a named pipe file, but I'm not sure whether you could send the
>> standard output of a program to a named pipe on Windows.
>>

> Named pipes on Windows don't use the standard FS syscalls, though.
> (Well, they do use the standard ReadFile / WriteFile calls, but they
> don't use CreateFile.  Instead, it's been renamed to CreateNamedPipe.)
>
> So even if you could send stdout of one program to a named pipe,
> Wireshark wouldn't be able to read from that pipe unless it had special
> code specifically written to open the named pipe instead of a file.
> (The normal GTKFileChooserDialog isn't going to work either, because
> named pipes don't show up in the directory tree.)
>
> What might work is to redirect the output to a normal file, and pull
> that file in after the other program is done.  But this is a "batch"
> type process, so it won't work if you need a method that feeds packets
> to Wireshark as they come in.

thanks for the quick reply... :-)

that is the problem, because the sniffer should analyze at "realtime".
my first idea was to write a new "driver" - not really ... i have to
write a interface that receives data from the external programm. the
interface must identifiable from winpcap as a network-interface (device)
is this possible?

steff