[Winpcap-users] Is is possible to receive EAP packet without promiscuous mode?

bugtraq bugtraq at 163.com
Mon Sep 25 04:14:45 GMT 2006

I found a way to receive EAP packets with winpcap but not in promiscuous mode.

Just modify the source code of pcap_open_live() to call
PacketSetHwFilter() with parameter (NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_DIRECTED | NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_ALL_MULTICAST).

In non-promiscuous mode, the parameter passed to PacketSetHwFilter() by
pcap_open_live() is NDIS_PACKET_TYPE_ALL_LOCAL, which doesn't include
the EAP multicast packets.

Here is the related article:
http://www.ndis.com/faq/QA01060501.htm

bugtraq <bugtraq at 163.com>