[Winpcap-users] pcap_open_offline returns "bad dump file

Narayanasamy, Raja M raja.m.narayanasamy at intel.com
Wed Apr 4 18:06:21 GMT 2007

Thanks Guy Harris. The summary dialog shows the format as "Network
Associates Sniffer (Windows-based) 2.00x".

Message: 2

Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 00:53:58 -0700

From: Guy Harris <guy at alum.mit.edu>

Subject: Re: [Winpcap-users] pcap_open_offline returns "bad dump file

      format".

To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org

Narayanasamy, Raja M wrote:

>      I wrote a simple application using the WinPcap developer pack 4.0

> API. The application uses pcap_open_offline() API call  to open the

> .pcap file and subsequently it uses other pcap API to collect all
packet

> details.  My application works fine with all .pcap files captured
using

> ethereal.

> But when I run my application with .pcap file captured using NetOptics

> hardware sniffer,  the pcap_open_offline() API fails with an error
text

> saying "bad dump file format".

> Ethereal software can successfully open the same .pcap file my

> application fails to open.

Read the file in with Ethereal and then select "Summary" from the

"Statistics" menu.

What does it say for "Format" in the summary dialog that opens?

Warm Regards
Raja