[Winpcap-users] Promiscuous Mode Doesn't Work Under Vista

Alex Johnson elusivedarkness at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 01:51:25 GMT 2007

I'm trying to use Wireshark with WinpCap 4.0 under Windows Vista Home
Premium, and I'm running into problems. I sent a message to the bug mailing
list about the issue. In wireshark I see my wireless adapter as Microsoft
and then the device id. Under Windows XP it used to show up as Broadcom
Wireless Adapter. It still detects the ip address, and is able to capture
all my traffic. However, I'm unable to capture any other network traffic.
Promiscuous mode is enabled and the "Microsoft" adapter seems to ignore this
request. I have the latest driver for my wireless adapter installed, but
winpcap still only shows the adapter as. Has anyone encounter a similar
issue? Are there any known work arounds for this problem yet? When can we
expect full compatibility with Vista?

Thanks a lot,

Alex