[Winpcap-users] Problem Reassembling IP Packets, missing packet-fragments!?

Sam.Fielden at L-3com.com Sam.Fielden at L-3com.com
Wed Apr 18 19:48:51 GMT 2007

I have written code to reassemble fragmented IP messages and I have a
system that is generating fragmented (Ethernet) messages which I can
successfully capture using WireShark (all fragments!). However my
"packet_handler(...)" method never receives the subsequent fragments,
only ever the first (with "ip_header.flags" == 1 and "ip_header.offset"
== 0).

As an example every time I enter the "packet_handler(...)" method the
"ip_header.identification" always increments by a value of 1. It is my
understanding that fragmented IP packets have the same
"ip_header.identification" value so this can be used for reassembling
the complete message.

I feel like I'm missing something obvious, do I need to 'request' the
next fragment from the WinPCap interface or should it arrive, at my
"packet_handler(...)" method, in sequence like it does in WireShark??

Sam Fielden

Software Engineer
Beca Applied Technologies Ltd
10001 Jack Finney Blvd
Greenville, Texas, 75402
Bldg. 208. CBN011
Ph. (903) 457-4767

Only Bikers understand why dogs love to stick their heads out car
windows.