[Winpcap-users] Problem Reassembling IP Packets, missing packet-fragments!?

Sam.Fielden at L-3com.com Sam.Fielden at L-3com.com
Mon Apr 30 16:11:55 GMT 2007

Gianluca,

I am using a capture filter generated by the following code, note an
example of the filter is provided in the method documentation.

// generateIOFilter.
// String* server : the ip address (ipv4) of the server for the
connection being monitored
// String* client : the ip address (ipv4) of the client for the
connection being monitored
// String* port   : the port number used for the connection being
monitored
// Updates the String* io_filter by adding the details of the connection
passed in.
// EG. io_filter = "((ip host 192.168.162.1 or ip host 192.168.162.2)
and port 5566)"
void M_Ethernet_Bus::generateIOFilter( String* server, String* client,
String* port )

{

    // make an array of the filter tokens. Note that we have included
spaces.

    String* tokens[] = {" ((ip host ", server, " or ip host ", client,
") and", " port ", port, ")"};

    // concatenate all the tokens into one string.

    String* io_filter_base = String::Concat(tokens);

    // ensure the filter string is initialised and if it is, then
concatenate to support multiple

    // connections.

    if(!io_filter)

        io_filter = "";

    else

        io_filter = String::Concat(io_filter, " or");

    // finally put it all together.

    io_filter = String::Concat(io_filter, io_filter_base);

}

It is not my understanding that using this filter will prevent the
subsequent fragments being received by the packet_handler(...) method,
please correct me if this is wrong. When using WireShark (and debugging
my code simultaneously) I can see the fragments being received in order,
yet they are never passed to the packet_handler(...) method.

Thanks for taking the time to peruse this with me.

Regards, Sam.