[Winpcap-users] Unexpected C++ name mangling of pcap entrypoints with MSVC++ 2005

Bryan Kadzban bryan at kadzban.is-a-geek.net
Tue Aug 21 19:00:40 GMT 2007

On Tue, Aug 21, 2007 at 06:15:02PM +0100, Kevin Miles wrote:
> I'm using winpcap 4.1 with MSVC++ 2005 and all references to pcap
> entrypoints declared in pcap.h get (slightly) mangled by having an
> underscore pre-pended to them, resulting in linker errors...

I believe you can work around this by linking to the winpcap .lib file
(wpcap.lib perhaps?).  That file provides matches for the underscored
names, to make the linker happy, while re-pointing the code at the
undecorated exports from the wpcap.dll file at runtime.

Or at least, so I heard on some MS compiler blog at one point in the
distant past...