[Winpcap-users] Capturing wlan packets

Ziara . essence_z at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 27 18:58:57 GMT 2007

Hi again,

first at all, thanks for reply, continued about capturing wlan packet with winpcap item

this solution:

When Winpcap captures on a wireless adapter, it sees the packets as though they are Ethernet packets.  By this I mean that the 802.11 data header is stripped off and a fake Ethernet header is composed and appended to the packet.  This isn't Winpcap's fault, however, as this is done before Winpcap has access to the packet.  In short, if you want to capture traffic and analyze any data beneath the MAC layer then this solution will work for you.

if I treat wlan packets like ethernet packets, when I am programming my source code, I program like if was ethernet?

pcap_datalink(adhandle) = DLT_EN10MB

and for another solution:

However, if you need access to the raw 802.11 packets and all the control and management frames, this solution will not work and an 802.11 capture card should be considered instead.

It's mean that I have to get a wlan card (pcmcia, usb) that support promiscuos mode?
and use...

pcap_datalink(adhandle) = DLT_IEEE802_11   ?

thanks.

Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 09:47:57 -0800From: dustin.johnson at cacetech.comTo: winpcap-users at winpcap.orgSubject: Re: [Winpcap-users] Capturing wlan packets
Ziara,    When Winpcap captures on a wireless adapter, it sees the packets as though they are Ethernet packets.  By this I mean that the 802.11 data header is stripped off and a fake Ethernet header is composed and appended to the packet.  This isn't Winpcap's fault, however, as this is done before Winpcap has access to the packet.  In short, if you want to capture traffic and analyze any data beneath the MAC layer then this solution will work for you.  However, if you need access to the raw 802.11 packets and all the control and management frames, this solution will not work and an 802.11 capture card should be considered instead.-- Dustin JohnsonCACE TechnologiesTel: 530-758-2790 x109Fax: 530-758-2781www.cacetech.comZiara . wrote:

Hello, it's possible capturing wlan packets with winpcap? I have research some information, and say that: "WinPcap is able to see an Ethernet emulation and not the real transiting packets: this means that the 802.11 frames are transformed into fake Ethernet frames before being captured, and that control frames are not received"  and... how I can capturing with this method? And, I find a page http://www.micro-logix.com/WinPcap/Supported.asp where list the devices wlan that work with airsnare it's means that work with my application with winpcap too? Are there some specific documentation to capturing wlan packets with winpcap? regards and thanks.

Sigue al minuto las principales noticias de tu ciudad MSN Deportes