[Winpcap-users] Wincap 4.0 is incompatible with Vista User AccountControl

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Wed Feb 28 03:00:29 GMT 2007

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Graeme & Julianne
  To: winpcap-users at winpcap.org
  Sent: Friday, February 23, 2007 8:43 PM
  Subject: [Winpcap-users] Wincap 4.0 is incompatible with Vista User AccountControl

  In order to run Winpcap 4.0 (even as a member of administrators group) you have to turn Vista's User Account Control off (refer Control Panel - User Accounts). The documentation states that v4.0 works with Vista, but doesn't mention anything about having to turn UAC off first. I'm not sure whether this is a bug, or simply a bit of documention that was overlooked.

This is not completely true. You don't need to turn UAC off (e.g. my test machines have UAC on), *but* you need to install WinPcap and run the applications (at least the first one that starts the kernel driver) with administrative privileges *and* in an elevated prompt (e.g. running the application/command line by right-clicking and using "run as administrator").

Regarding the command line tool "runas.exe", I don't know if it actually runs the application with elevated privileges or not. I just had a quick test (runas .... cmd.exe), and it doesnt seem to create an elevated privileges shell. I need to look into these things more thoroughly.

Hope it helps
GV

  Attempting to (pre)start the winpcap driver with the runas command (eg runas /user:<admin user> "net start npf") didn't help. 8-(.