[Winpcap-users] PCap Queues - Question regarding usage

Radha Krishna Srimanthula radhakrishnasri at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 13:23:19 GMT 2007

Hi,

We are using WinPCap queues within our application to generate network traffic. However, I doubt if I am using it the right way... Need help in figuring out if there is any better implementation. Details follow:

My application reads out of a file, prepares IP packets with various protocol headers and gets them ready to be transmitted. We are using PCap Queues for the same in line with the sample applications provided with WinPCap.

My understanding of PCap Queues, which may not be exactly accurate, is that PCap queues are not queues in the exact sense of a queue - where packets can be inserted dynamically at one end and the kernel infrastructure drains it out at the other. So, queues need to be formed at regular intervals and then sent out. We have implemented it this way - where fresh queues are formed and once the queue is of a desired size, it is sent.

The help I need is this: Is there a better way of dealing with PCap queues. Is there a way where I can use a single PCap queue - add packets to the queue at one end and drain out at the other?? Are there any bitrate control mechanisms available (other than the inter packet timing within the queue)??

Any help regarding this will be highly appreciated..

Regards,
Radha.