R: [Winpcap-users] Using WinPcap "breaks" TCP

Davide Schiera davide.schiera at gmail.com
Thu Jul 12 18:35:03 GMT 2007

Hi Marc,
I sent a message few hours ago... maybe you wasn't able to read it :( Here
is the message!

As said in http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-10:

"Q-10: Does WinPcap work in connection with personal firewalls?
A: We got several reports saying that WinPcap does not work well if a
personal firewall is installed on the same machine as WinPcap. The typical
problem is the impossibility to capture all or part of the traffic from an
adapter, but some users reported strange behaviors (like some packets
disappearing) on the transmit side too.
Most of the times, the problem is caused by non-standard interactions
between the firewall and the network stack of the OS, so there not a lot to
do on our side; the suggested remedy consists in uninstalling the firewall.
Note: uninstalling, and not disabling, because some firewalls (like
ZoneAlarm) keep having strange behaviors even when they are disabled."

Kerio firewall seems to be another firewall that doesn't work with WinPcap.

A firewall that should work with WinPcap is Jetico Personal Firewall
(http://www.jetico.com/index.htm#/jpfirewall.htm), but I'm sure there are
other available firewalls without compatibility issues.

Bye,

Davide