[Winpcap-users] Multiple use of pcap_open

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Mon Jun 25 18:03:24 GMT 2007

----- Original Message -----
From: <ceo at triplebit.com>
To: <winpcap-users at winpcap.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2007 7:00 AM
Subject: [Winpcap-users] Multiple use of pcap_open

> Can I run "pcap_open" on the same
> interface card in my 2 distinct threads?

Yes.

> In one thread I'd like to sniff the interface card for incoming/outgoing
> packets, while on the other thread I'd like to send packets.
> If positive, is there any need for coordination between them?

No. You can call the pcap function on different pcap handles (pcap_t) from
different threads i.e. each thread dealing with its own pcap_t handle
without any synchronization. There's only one function that should be
protected because it's not thread safe, pcap_compile().
If you are calling this function from multiple threads at the same time,
please protect with some code like

EnterCriticalSection(&MyCriticalSection);
pcap_compile()
LeaveCriticalSection(&MyCriticalSection);

Remember to initialize the critical section at the beginning of your
application.