[Winpcap-users] Question about operation of pcap_next_ex () in non-blocking mode...

Samir Sawhney samsaw7 at yahoo.com
Mon May 7 09:00:29 GMT 2007

  Hello,

    I am using the winpcap 4.0 library to send and receive
    TCP/IP packets to/from a demo application running on a
    Windows 2000/XP computer.

    From an earlier post, I learnt that setting the
    'read_timeout' parameter of pcap_open () to -1 causes
    pcap_next_ex () to exhibit non-blocking behavior.

    In such a (non-blocking) configuration, what are the
    parameters that determine when packets are copied out from
    the kernel buffers into the user buffers (where they can be
    retrieved via the pcap_next_ex () call)?  Is the
    pcap_setmintocopy () call still relevant in such a (non-
    blocking) configuration?  What role does the
    PCAP_OPENFLAG_MAX_RESPONSIVENESS flag (specified in the
    'flags' parameter in the call to pcap_open ()) play?

    Also, one of the papers at this site talks about an API
    call to set the size of the user buffer.  However, I
    wasn't able to   find any such function in the WinPcap
    documentation.  Can you please point me to the relevant
    function?

    Thanks,

    Samir