[Winpcap-users] Problem linking to wpcap.lib

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Fri Nov 23 17:07:43 GMT 2007

The user level part of WinPcap (wpcap.dll and packet.dll, plus a couple other minor binaries) are 32-bit only. We do not provide 64-bit user level libraries because up to now there was not much request for that.

Wrt how WinPcap works on 64bit, this is the explanation. The kernel driver (npf.sys) is 64bit. This is a requirement (kernel drivers must be 64bit on a 64bit Windows OS). The user level part is 32bit, i.e. a WinPcap-based application is always a 32-bit application. On 64bit Windows, it runs on WoW64 (Windows on Windows64) i.e. it runs in a 32bit environment, and the OS provides the necessary thunking to have the 32bit application to communicate with the 64bit kernel and 64bit kernel driver.

Providing 64bit versions of the WinPcap user level libraries is definitely in our todo list, but at the moment it's a low priority task due to the very few requests we had for this feature.