[Winpcap-users] Ethernet Trailer

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sun Oct 21 16:57:36 GMT 2007

ceo wrote:

>     I sniff with Ethereal and find from time to time an "Ethernet
>     Trailer" of a
>     few bytes.
>     What porpose does it serve?

At least on non-switched Ethernets, access to the Ethernet cable or hub
is arbitrated by a technique called Carrier Sense Multiple Access with
Collision Detection:

	http://www.erg.abdn.ac.uk/users/gorry/course/lan-pages/csma-cd.html

As it notes, in order for that to work, Ethernet requires a frame to
have a minimum of 46 bytes of payload; with a 14-byte Ethernet header,
that's a minimum of 60 bytes (64 if you include the CRC at the end of
the frame, but that's not always captured - sometimes the Ethernet
adapter doesn't provide that to the host).

>      How does the sniffer software discovers that?

Most protocols running atop Ethernet either

	1) use the field in the Ethernet header after the source address as a
length field rather than a type field

or

	2) have a length field in their own header (IPv4 and IPv6, for example,
do).

Those length fields indicate the *real* length of a packet for that
protocol, so that any extra padding at the end of the Ethernet packet
can be recogized as such.

>     Can someone indicate some reference in the Internet on that?

For the padding, see the document with the URL given above, and look at
the "Collision Detection" section.