[Winpcap-users] can not get any captured package when

Lin George george4academic at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 6 07:30:47 GMT 2008

Cool Bryan!
Some more comments after experiments,
1.
> When you're pinging (or doing HTTP to) www.google.com, or when you're
> pinging (or doing HTTP to) a.b.c.d directly?

I am ping www.google.com, and get its IP address like a.b.c.d.
2.
> Otherwise instead of trying to match up two random values (the result of
> the windump name resolution and the result of the name resolution done
> by the other program), you're trying to match one fixed value (the
> "manual" name resolution) to one random value (the result of the name
> resolution done by the other program).  *Both* need to be fixed.
Could you explain why you think IP address after name resolution is random (non-determistic) other than determistic please? I have this confusion is becasue, when I ping the www.google.com. on the command line window, always returns the same IP address, should not be random.
3.
> Um, yeah, if the traffic that you do want to capture is headed to a
> proxy, then you need to have windump's filter set to the proxy's IP.
> Just like you'd need to have windump's filter set to the IP of any other
> random server if you're trying to capture that traffic.

> windump (or any other libpcap/winpcap program) doesn't look inside the
> proxy traffic when comparing packets against the "host" directive; it
> just compares the IP src and dst addresses on the packet.
You mean if I am using proxy in my intranet, the source address and destination address (which we could use host to filter in WinDump) is always my computer's IP and proxy's IP? Not the actual IP of the web site (e.g. www.google.com)? And this is why when I set host to the IP of google, I can not get any result?
regards,
George