[Winpcap-users] Does WinPcap on Vista x64 require being signed?

Wei Gao wgao at broadcom.com
Tue Aug 12 23:06:25 GMT 2008

I am trying to use the packet.dll APIs in Winpcap 4.0.2 on Vista 64 bit. There is no problem to install Winpcap. After UAC is turned off, I can start the "NPF" protocol driver (command "net start npf") successfully. As the "NPF" is a protocol driver, I wonder in order for the packet API to work properly, if the driver need to get signed via the WHQL?

I don't have any problem using the Winpcap APIs on on 32 bits XP/Vista though. Thanks