[Winpcap-users] Loopback Device on Windows

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Fri Dec 5 17:08:37 GMT 2008

I don't know exactly how the microsoft loopback interface works (I hope to play with it this coming weekend), but in general it will not allow you to capture the packets to/from the IP loopback address 127.0.0.1: such packets are managed directly by the TCP/IP protocol driver, and they do not reach any lower layer. WinPcap sits in parallel with the TCP/IP protocol driver, so it will not be able to see packets that do not go out of the TCP/IP stack.