[Winpcap-users] Captured packets buffered and not returned to the application immediately

Wed Dec 10 23:28:00 GMT 2008

Hi,

I'm using WinPcap in an application to capture packets, but it seems that
calls made to pcap_next() do not return immediately when a packet is
received. The timeout is set to 0 (blocking indefinitely). The packets seem
to be buffered in some location, so that in order to see a packet that just
arrived, I have to capture a lot more packets for that packet to be flushed
to my application. I am comparing my results to that of Wireshark, which
seems to display packets immediately as they are received.

Does anyone know what could be causing it and how it can be fixed? I'm on
Windows XP SP3, using WinPcap 4.0.2, pre-built.

Thanks in advance,
Oliver