[Winpcap-users] Captured packets buffered and not returned to theapplication immediately

Thu Dec 11 00:38:42 GMT 2008

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

 If you set the timeout to 0 (infinite timeout), mintocopy is the factor
> affecting the reception.

Where is mintocopy defined?

pcap_next_ex (or any other WinPcap receive function) will return
> - after the timeout (unless you used 0)
> - when at least mintocopy bytes are stored in the kernel buffer
>
> (whatever happens first).
>
> It's not a bug in WinPcap, this is by design. Why are you using an infinite
> timeout?

Is that the intended usage, to use a timeout? I really do not need to have a
timeout; I want a packet when it arrives. But if the only way to circumvent
mintocopy is to have a timeout, then I don't mind it. Then I suppose
pcap_next_ex() would be more useful than pcap_next() since its return code
indicates a timeout...

Is there a way to change the size of mintocopy? I am guessing no, since
that's kernel level code.

Cheers,
Oliver