[Winpcap-users] Getting a MAC Address

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Sun Jan 27 22:50:24 GMT 2008

:: [F]usion[S]tream :: -- Gmail wrote:
> How does one go about retrieving a MAC Address from a device that is not
> on a local network. Spent 2 days working on ARP before realising that it
> supposedly only works on the local network (even though wikipedia seems
> to say otherwise).

Hopefully it no longer says otherwise; I've substantially expanded the
description of how it's used in the four cases given in the article, to
make it clearer how it works and make it clearer that it is, in fact,
specific to the local network (well, except for some uses of Proxy ARP:

	http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proxy_ARP

and other specialized cases).