[Winpcap-users] pcap_fopen_offline not exported?

Guy Harris guy at alum.mit.edu
Wed Jul 23 01:54:40 GMT 2008

On Jul 22, 2008, at 8:36 AM, Okraszewski, Marcin wrote:

> I wanted to use pcap_fopen_offline which is mentioned in
> documentation as well as available in pcap.h. Unfortunately this
> function is not exported by both 4.0.2 and 4.1 beta 4. Is it on
> purpose or some oversight?

Probably an oversight.  The .def files weren't updated when the
libpcap base of WinPcap was updated to a version that includes
pcap_fopen_offline(); the release notes for libpcap release that first
included them might not have mentioned that routine.

(So what exactly *are* the benefits of requiring a .def file when you
build a dynamically-linked library?  No UN*X that I know of requires
that the exported functions be explicitly declared when you build a
dynamically-linked shared library....)