[Winpcap-users] Wpcap.lib on 64bits Platform

Gianluca Varenni gianluca.varenni at cacetech.com
Tue Jun 24 16:46:58 GMT 2008

At the moment the user level components of WinPcap are 32bit only. This means that on a x64 machine, the driver is 64bit, but the user DLLs are 32bit only.
We have definitely thought of providing both x86 and x64 user level DLLs (hence x64 LIB files) but mainly due to lack of resources and the very low number of requests for it, we have never actually worked on it.
The main tasks in porting the user level DLLs to x64 are
- migrate the compilation environment to VS2005 (previous do not easily support x64 compilation).
- compile packet.dll under x64 and understand if we need different packet.dll for XP and Vista.
- compile wpcap.dll under x64. This can be a lil tricky as this library is mostly a port of libpcap under Windows, and contains several conditional compilation definitions.
- modify the installer to install the right DLLs on all the various supported OSes.
- make sure that all the current samples in the devpack compile for x64 as well.