[Winpcap-users] wireshark in high traffic environments, was: disabling chimney, was: Card info

Bryan Mclellan bryanm at widemile.com
Wed Mar 26 18:45:52 GMT 2008

I have yet to be convinced that TOE (and thus chimney) is of 'heavy' performance benefit. Maybe the Windows TCP/IP stack just sucks, and therefore most hardware based TOE implementations are that much better than it. I suppose all of this is beside the point.

I'd probably avoid running wireshark on any heavily used production server and fall back on SPAN or something inline at that point. Or maybe capture with tcpdump and analyze later with wireshark. OP left out many variables that may have been interesting, who knows why OP has a 10gbps NIC. Best practices for dealing with sniffing high traffic links is perhaps a more interesting discussion. Hard to throw an hub in the link and I haven't used enough 10gbps gear to know if you can use SPAN or not. Possibly running wireshark on the server interface is the only reasonable way of getting things done.