[Winpcap-users] Several queries

Esmond Pitt esmond.pitt at bigpond.com
Sun May 25 06:02:09 GMT 2008

Gianluca

Some queries:

1. Winpcap gets away with not providing a pcap_getbuff() function because
the default value of 1Mb is specified. Similarly either the default value
for pcap_setmintocopy() should be specified or a pcap_getmintocopy()
function should be provided.

2. I've been unable to get lookup of capture files working via pcap_open,
specifying file:///directoryname as the source - I get 'invalid capture file
format' in the errbuf. I've also tried file:/, file://, etc, and the
directory name is certainly valid. Is there a working example of this?

3. What is #define MODE_MON 2 for in pcap.h? Something not yet implemented?

4. I'm finding that pcap_lookupdev() can return the name of an interface
that isn't 'up', e.g. a dial-up adapter. Is this supposed to happen? Doesn't
seem much use to me ... Using Winpcap 4.0.2.

Gratie

EJP