[Winpcap-users] Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Winpcap-team] Help! Error installing the MS Network Monitor Driver [Resolution to Winpcap installation error]

Matt Richards knightrid at gmail.com
Sun Nov 9 22:13:33 GMT 2008

Error: "An error occurred while installing the Microsoft Network Monitor
Driver (NetMon) (0x800F0203). You will be able to use WinPcap on
standard network
adapters, but not on Dialup connections and VPNs. Please contact the WinPcap
team."

I've been struggling with this error for the past 2 hours and I finally
found a solution. Now I'm finally able to run GNS (Cisco emulator). I
believe the problem stems from using a heavily customized version (i.e.
stripped) of Windows XP SP2. First I tried uninstall Winpcap and installing
the latest beta release which didn't help. Then I tried installing Windows
XP Support Tool and running "c:\Program Files\Support Tools\netcap.exe",
which failed to work. So that led me down a different route which was to
install Microsoft Network Monitor 3.2 from:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=f4db40af-1e08-4a21-a26b-ec2f4dc4190d&displaylang=en#filelist

After installing Netmon 3.2, I ran the program and everything launched
without a problem. So I ran the Winpcap beta again. Note that I still got
the error during installation, but I was able to run Dynamips. This finally
allowed me to launch GNS and start using it. I know other people have run
into this problem and I hope this information will help avoid
reinstallations of Windows.

Thanks,
Matt