[Winpcap-users] pcap_setbuff occasional failure

Sassone, Ed Ed.Sassone at autonomy.com
Mon Oct 6 21:15:22 GMT 2008

Hi

Every so often in our application during startup, the pcap_setbuff call
will fail.  We are unable to re-create the problem but it seems to
happen after the application has been stopped and started a number of
times.  Once the failure occurs it will continue to occur, until a
reboot.  Our app is multithreaded with two threads starting per
interface card, and we can have more than one interface card configured.
The buffer size specified can vary but it's usually around 5-10 MB.  I
have recently put in some changes to serialize the command in case there
is a timing issue, as I'm not sure if the call is thread safe.  I
remember there was thread issue with the filter command.  This is on
Windows 2003.  Any other ideas?

thanks

Ed Sassone